Weight loss tracker

Friday, July 9, 2010

What is "Diet Food"?

The other day I was so excited because I managed to eat a small portion of a chicken caesar salad wrap for lunch. I felt like I am getting closer to being able to eat normal food. I was so excited and I told Mummy-Dearest about this. She replied a little snottily “That’s not diet food” So here is my question, What is “Diet Food”? I mean I don’t understand what is required to label something as “Diet Food”? I look at my little bit of wrap. It had a soft tortilla as the wrap (of which I ate less than a forth of the whole tortilla), chicken (which I ate about three ounces of), chopped lettuce (maybe a fourth of a cup eaten), and some caesar salad dressing (which I probably consumed about a tablespoon at the most). The whole thing came out to under 250 calories because I ate so little of it. So what in that is so bad for you. I mean of course salad dressing isn’t great but we have so little of it that it really isn’t that bad. I was being generous by saying 1 tablespoon. It was probably less. A wrap Is usually preferable to other types of bread because there are fewer calories and carbs. Lettuce isn’t bad for you and neither is grilled chicken. So what is wrong with having that for lunch?


I really don’t get it. Who is it that gets to label some things as “Diet Food” and other things as not “Diet Food” I mean really, what guidelines are they using? Does it go by fat content or calories? Are we all supposed to eat flavorless boiled chicken? Or wait, fish is probably even healthier then chicken. Must we eat all veggies plain and stay away from any that maybe a little higher in the fat or calories such as avocado? Should we just cut out Fruit and breads all together because of high sugar and carb content? I just don’t get it. I mean if you are smart and watch portions it shouldn’t really matter. Should I be in trouble because the other night I had one bite of cake. Why shouldn’t I? I mean I watch my calories and nutrition. I am following the rules my doctor gave me. So what is wrong with tasting the dessert? I didn’t eat the rest of it. I didn’t really feel a need to eat it. But I thought that having a taste would be nice. So I had one bite, satisfied my sweet tooth (that makes very little demands on me now) and felt satisfied because I wasn’t depriving myself. What is so wrong with that???

I really want to know if my lunch that day was so wrong and what was so wrong about it? I mean what should I have eaten instead? If you look hard enough you can find something wrong with EVERYTHING! Do you know how many bad things I passed up for that healthy wrap? At my work we have a food court with McDonalds, Burger King, a Mexican place, I walked past pizza and sandwiches made with big thick breads (not that my stomach would really accept most of that right now, but you see my point). So really What is so wrong with my chicken wrap? Is there some list out there of “Diet Foods” and non “Diet Foods”? If so I need a copy. Cause apparently following my doctors guidelines is not cutting it and I’m doing it wrong!



Jumping down off my soap box now. Bowing. Rant officially over. Thank you

3 comments:

  1. F*ck diets. They don't work! Everyone will tell you that. What does work is everything in moderate (mindful eating) and exercise. Pretty plain and simple. Your wrap sounded divine. NOTHING wrong there. It's the giant mound of fries that usually come with them that is the death of all healthy lifestylers, but then again a few won't hurt anyone. There is a mummy-dearest in all of our lives, I choose to shut mine off when I get comments life that. You are doing amazing. I have walked this journey of yours since the beginning. Keep it up! ~ Joan W. Los Angeles, CA

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like diet food to me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I eat what I want and don't worry about it. The volume of food is SO small that it really doesn't matter. I don't eat cake all the time, but if I want it, I FUCKING EAT IT!

    ReplyDelete