Weight loss tracker

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Pre- Op Angst

Good Afternoon everyone!


I was eating my yogurt this morning and glanced at the label. I noticed that the yogurt was 6oz. I realized that after the surgery my stomach will be about the size of that container of yogurt. Now it’s one thing to think abstractly that your stomach will be 85-90% smaller but it is another to actually see it in terms you can relate to. That is really small. That is a little depressing when you start thinking how much of a hamburger could fit in this little yogurt container? How much of a good dinner with a steak, veggies, potato could fit in here? But that is why I’m doing this right? I don’t want to be able to fit a whole burger or whole pizza into my stomach anymore. While I’ll miss enjoying food the way I do now (or did before the pre-op diet) I’m sure I will enjoy my new thin body more.

Which then leads me to more disturbing thoughts. My mom has a friend who was sleeved in November and she has only lost 52lbs so far. I know that she is eating things she shouldn’t and I know she often eats more then she should (I honestly have no idea how she managed to get a whole tray of Baklava into that tiny yogurt container, even if it was over the span of a whole day). But that makes me worry. What if I go through all of this and I fail? What if I can’t get myself to stick to healthy eating and I don’t lose the weight. Or at least enough weight. What if I just can’t get skinny again even after all of this craziness? I know it probably won’t happen but I still worry. I mean what if I stretch my stomach back out? What if I eat bad foods so even though it’s small amounts it’s still not good enough to lose the weight? I guess it didn’t help that when I weighted myself this morning I had only lost 1lb. I know that is still good but I was hoping for two. I gained seven pounds in the month and a half between meeting the doctor and starting my pre-op diet because I was letting myself enjoy all the foods I won’t be able to enjoy anymore. Plus I was just giving myself a break from worrying about what I eat all the time. Anyway, I was hoping that I would lose enough on the pre-op diet that it wouldn’t be so noticeable that I had gained a bit. I don’t want him to think I cheated. I have made it 8 days on this diet and not cheated AT ALL. Not one bite or sip of anything I am not supposed to have. I am really proud of myself for that one. It is getting easier as time goes on. Six more days until surgery. Now I am starting to get nervous and worry about all this stuff. I wish time would stop crawling so I could just do it all ready!

4 comments:

  1. I'm worried about all those things as well! I reached my pre-op goal weight today and blogged about it. I was told in no uncertain terms that gainiong one pound will cause them to cancel surgery!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the thing. This is a tool. Just a tool. It is not magic. It is not going to happen over night... it's a tool. Your eyes will be way bigger then your stomach for a long time. Mine still are. You have to get in the habit of measuring your food..(once you eat again!).. When you go out to eat you have to share your meal with someone or immediately ask for a box to pack half of it up. The trouble I have is that one bite I am fine and the next I am stuffed. That is not a good feelin'!! This surgery will make it easier, let's face it if you are in pain all the time from overeating eventually you stop right?? The good thing about the sleeve is that it doesn't take much to fill you up, and you really are not that hungry. Hang in there, your perspectives and fears will change after the surgery, things will seem a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's a tool. That's how I am thinking of it. There are just a lot of conflicting feelings and worries involved. I can't wait until the surgery, maybe things will get clearer. Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherry Where are you having your surgery? That is the same thing my doctor said to the tee. My doctor is very strict and does not mess around...
    Raven those are some of my concerns as well. I think those are normal feelings.

    ReplyDelete